Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Portraits From Photos


Most of the below are either rough pencil sketches or experimental ... just so you know ... only the first two shown here, and the last one, are actually anywhere near 'finished'.  

This is my mom, from a photo she gave me of when she was younger.  It's pencil on canvas with acrylic.

This is my daughter Sarah, using a photo that had her with a couple of other people.  Pencil on canvas, which turns out a lot better than other combinations I've tried ... 

This is me, from a photo I took to use as a character in a story.  Pencil on paper.

My daughter Helen, from a photo where her face was about the size of my thumbnail.  Pencil on paper.

This is from another of my mom's old photos that had only head and part of her torso - I added the rest of her and put her on a horse.  Pencil on paper.


This is Steve, my once-husband, from an old photo.  I took his shirt off, made his hair longer, changed the pants, and added the short sword.  Pencil on paper.


Here's my mom again, at least her face which is all that was in the photo - the rest is added for a character in that same story.  Pencil on paper.


Here she is again, the face from an old photo, a younger version of the story character.  Pencil on paper.


My daughter Heather, from a photo of her and other people - again, her face in the photo was about the size of my thumbnail.  Pencil on paper.  I'll take an eraser to it and lighten it up, but wanted all of this first.


My daughters Tess and Heather, from a group photo, but I added the mud and Heather's hair is not blonde.  Pencil on paper, then Prismacolor pencils.


My grand-daughter from a photo I took of her up a tree.  Pencil on paper with Prismacolor again.


Myself, again a sketch for possible use in that story.  Pencil on paper.


Ditto above.


My daughter Sarah from a blurry photo.


Sarah again.


Me again, for the story.


My mom, from a photo.  Pencil on acrylic-coated fabric.

Me again, for that same story.  It's my second try at people-drawing. Pencil on acrylic-coated fabric.


Very first experimental attempt at people-drawing, this is me again, for that story.  For this one I used a pencil sketch, pastels (face), and acrylics on acrylic-coated fabric.


Another of the very first attempts - the character refused to cooperate so his resemblance to my once-husband Steve is minimal.  Pencil on acrylic-coated fabric.


My son-in-law Casey from a photo I took some years ago.  This one is only a light pencil first sketch on acrylic-coated fabric..


My daughter Sarah again.  Pencil on acrylic-coated fabric.


Sarah once more, for use in the story.  It's the above pencil sketch finished with pastels.


I have scads of other sketches done from photos, but they're not of actual 'people' being almost entirely rendered from photos of ancient Greek/Roman statuary and put together in sketches for that story.


No comments:

Post a Comment